Published by Gabriel Oliveira
on April 18, 2020

FSW Step 11 - Get police certificates

Police certificates are needed to prove that you do not have any problem with your country laws.

It is required one certificate for you and each family member older than 18 that will travel with you.

Note: If you lived in another country for more than 6 months in a row on the previous 10 years, you will need a certificate from that country police as well.

Police certificates might take a long time to be done, so you are encouraged to create one on the moment you create a profile. On the other hand, it cannot be more than 6 months old when you submit your application.

How to get police certificates

Each country has different entities and processes. Please visit IRCC website for instructions on how to get one for several different countries.

Any document that is not in english or french must be translated by a certified translator, including police certificates. More information here.

FSW Steps

FSW Step 1 - Understand the whole process

FSW Step 2 - Check eligibility

FSW Step 3 - Inform dependents

FSW Step 4 - Find out your NOC

FSW Step 5 - Get passport(s) ready

FSW Step 6 - Do English Exam

FSW Step 7 - Get an ECA

FSW Step 8 - Create and submit profile

FSW Step 9 - Wait for ITA

FSW Step 10 - Fill out the online form

FSW Step 11 - Get Police Certificates

FSW Step 12 - Get Medical Exams

FSW Step 13 - Get Proof of Funds

FSW Step 14 - Get Work Experience Letters

FSW Step 15 - Translate all documents

FSW Step 16 - Scan and upload documents

FSW Step 17 - Pay the fees

FSW Step 18 - Submit application

FSW Step 19 - Receive request for Biometrics

FSW Step 20 - Schedule and do Biometrics

FSW Step 21 - Wait for approval

FSW Step 22 - Send passport to VAC

FSW Step 23 - Receive COPR + visa

FSW Step 24 - Arrange travel

FSW Step 25 - Do the landing

FSW Step 26 - Receive PR Card


Pataru89 Jun 16, 2021 12:38:04

Hi! This is super helpful, but I have a quick question about the police character certificate: does it need to be less than 6 months old for my current country of residence or for ALL countries I have lived in? IE - I lived in the USA from 2015-2018. I got police character certificate done before I left and never went back. Do I need to get ANOTHER police character certificate from the USA even though I havent been back since I left in 2018? Thank you!

Gabriel (Author) Jun 17, 2021 17:11:18

Hi There. For the country you live in currently, it must have less than 6 months, yes. But for countries where you lived before, there is no such rule. Even if there is an expiry date on the certificate itself, IRCC will take it! However, it must have been issued AFTER YOU LEFT. So on your specific case, you might need to get a new one :| This (oficial) link has all the rules:

Prabhat Nov 29, 2022 00:11:10

Hi, I got my ITA on 23rd November 2022. I applied for police clearance certificate (PCC) for myself, wife and son (19 years age) on 26th & 27th Nov-2022. It might take ~4 weeks to get the certificate but if I would get it late then can I submit my PR application with the PCC application payment receipt & acknowledgement? and can can submit the PCC later?

Gabriel (Author) Dec 08, 2022 05:51:25

Hi. You need to submit the police certificate at the time of application. If you don't have it, I think is definetly worth to submit whatever you have in hand (receipt, etc) with a letter of explanation and see if that flies with the agent.

Leave a comment: