Published by Gabriel Oliveira on May 24, 2020

Step 15 - Translate All Documents

Official languages in Canada are English and French. Therefore, every document you submit on your application must be translated to one of those languages. (If original isn't on them, of course.)

This translation must be done by a certified translator. Meaning you can't just translate it yourself, or ask a frend - even though it sounds tempting.

Also, by "certified" translator, IRCC means "A member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada". Which means you must confirm the translator you are thinking about using meets the requirements.

For each document, you will need to submit:

  1. A notarized copy of the original version;
  2. a translated version of the document, done by a certified translator. This copy must be stamped with the translator's certification or registration number.

Use the checklist below as a reference to track which documents you need to translate:


Are your letters of experience translated?
Is your proof of funds translated?
Are your police certificates translated?

Note: The checklist above is a just a guideline. You might be required to send more translated documents besides these. Follow the checklist on your official application.


Erdem B 2021-09-10T04:58:02Z

Hi Gabriel, hope you are doing well. I have confused about the meaning of 'A notarized copy of the original version'. For instance, what i have is only the documents sent me by emails from companies. Do you think they are not enough ?

Gabriel (Author) 2021-09-14T21:36:21Z

Ops I meant notarized copy OR the original document. Depending on which the translator used as a source. Sorry about that, I'll fix it soon! Thanks for the catch! Here's official source, just in case: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/scan-upload-documents.html
About | Privacy |