Published by Gabriel Oliveira on April 30, 2020

Step 4 - Find your NOC

As we mentioned previously, the Federal Skilled Worker Program is all about skills. And there are specific ones being looked for by the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada).

They need to know exactly what is it that you do for a living, so they can evaluate what you bring to the table.

Because each part of the world might call the same job by different names, Canada has an official list with codes and descriptions for each profession.

At this point, you need to find the code for your profession on that list.

National Occupational Classification

So, the "list" is called National Occupational Classification (NOC) System

It is veeery comprehensive - has around 30,000 job titles, gathered into 500 unit groups. So it is highly probable that yours is there.

For each profession, there is a code (that you need to know), and a failrly detailed description, to help you make sure you found the right one.

How the NOC system works

Besides the code, each occupation also has a skill level associated to it.

There are 5 different skill levels. "Zero" is the highest one, which is for manager-type roles. And "D" is the lowest one, which includes job that don't need much studies/preparations, like cleaning staff.

On the Express Entry context, applied to the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the rule is that your job title must belong to a category which skill type is 0, A or B.

Skill Level Description Examples
0 (zero) Management jobs Restaurant manager, factory manager, etc.
A Jobs that usually require university diploma Doctor, scientist, engineers, etc.
B Jobs that usually require technical trainning Chefs, plumbers, electricians, etc.
C Jobs that usually require high-school or job-specific trainnings Butcher, truck driver, food servers, etc.
D Jobs that usually require on-the-job trainning Fruit pickers, cleaning staff, etc.

So, for an example, if you are a super market cachier, that is classified as Skill Level C, which doesn't make the cut.

How to find your profession code

  1. Look for your profession by job title on the official NOC website.
  2. Once you find it, confirm that the description, duties, requirements, etc. match your profession.
  3. Write down the NOC number (i.e. 2173) - you will use it when you create your Express Entry profile.


Jose Alejandro Ortega Mantilla 2021-07-19T20:32:42Z


Luciano Vogler Xavier (Guest-162565) 2021-07-20T21:41:48Z


Luciano Vogler Xavier (Guest-162565) 2021-07-20T21:41:48Z


Luciano Xavier Vogler 2021-07-20T21:42:43Z


Gabriel (Author) 2021-07-22T19:41:49Z

Hi Luciano, try to look for it on this page: https://www.canadastepbystep.com/tools/noc

Yamit Yepes Orozco 2021-07-24T02:42:24Z


Kevin 2021-07-25T06:06:34Z


Andres (Guest-167996) 2021-07-25T17:46:30Z

Hi Gabriel, while I am currently waiting the gov response for my PGWP (in the meantime with implied status) my spouse will be submitting a new Open Work Permit application grounded on my PGWP status (previously, it had been issued based on my Student Status). Revising the requirements we noticed that I have to include in that application my payslips, contract and other info on my job, for my spouse's elegibility. To my surpise, it is required that I (as "principal foreign worker") am employed in an occupation falling within NOC skill type 0, skill level A or B. Despite I hold a PhD and a Masters Degree, I have recently started my first job in Canada, that, unfortunately is considered skill C. Do you think my degrees will be taken into account for determining my NOC, or only my current employment in Canada? I also hold a tenured professor position abroad (working remotely), would that count for the NOC? What's your take on this? Thanks!

Gabriel (Author) 2021-07-27T17:11:34Z

Hi Andres... I really don't know much about OWP and PGWP... But unfortunately, from what you are saying, it doesn't sound like they would take your degrees for NOC, no. NOCs are all about work experience, which is a separate thing from studies. Also your experience abroad not sure.. you mentioned they expect you to be (currently) employed right? Not work experience. Again, I'm saying all of this based on what you wrote, so really not sure. These very specific cases, when there's a lot in play, I believe to be worth to go for a professional consultant that you trust. I can recommend you one if you need, but one that you already trust would be even better. Sorry, wish I could help you out more.

Renata Lima 2021-08-04T20:48:53Z


Taotao (Guest-194736) 2021-08-12T16:40:03Z

Hi Gabriel, my major is assets evaluation and worked as a valuator. I found that 1314 is Valuator. But I have a question about its employment requirements. It says "Valuators usually require a bachelor's degree or college diploma in accounting, business or commerce and accreditation with the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators based on successful completion of its business and security valuation program." I have master degree in accounting. But I am confused about "accreditation with the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators based on successful completion of its business and security valuation program." I worked at a company as a valuator to value the business and products. Can I use this NOC code?

Gabriel (Author) 2021-08-16T16:27:24Z

Hm... I see your point. Reading the text, I'd say you need that validation from that institute. But these things can be tricky. My recommendation is to get in touch with that institution and ask for guidance. If you hit a wall there, maybe consider getting help from a trusted consultant. Really wish I could help you more, but that is super specific, sorry about that. Let me know if you need a good consultant recommendation!

ade (Guest-205434) 2021-08-20T10:59:25Z


ade (Guest-205434) 2021-08-20T10:59:25Z


ade (Guest-205434) 2021-08-20T10:59:25Z


ade (Guest-205434) 2021-08-20T10:59:26Z


twinimanda 2021-11-04T21:15:11Z

Hi Gabriel, thanks for the excellent pieces of information, I have some concerns please, I am a community health worker(diploma) with furthered education in public health, for years I have been working with community-based organizations which are of the not-for-profit group and taking up the role of a monitoring and evaluation officer/trainee if find NOC 4165 related to my field as most health delivery services issued are sources for research, although it doesn't say much on monitoring and evaluation of health programs. I just want to know if I am on track, please?

Gabriel (Author) 2021-11-15T05:55:20Z

Hi, thanks for the nice feedback! Really not sure about that specific NOC... don't wanna say something without being 100% safe. But I'd recommend focus on the NOC description more than on the title itself - IRCC cares more about the duties and responsabilities (if yours match NOCs) than anything else!
About | Privacy |