Published by Gabriel Oliveira
on September 30, 2021

Why were there no FSW draws in 2021?

Main reason is, of course, COVID-19. Canada wants to void influx of people from abroad, which makes sense. But there is more to it (keep reading).

It's been almost one year since we had the last FSW draw ("No Program Specified"), back in December 2021.

But now, with vaccinations campaigns at full steam, and borders open even for (vaccinated) tourists , why hasn't FSW draws resumed yet?

Here is my attempt of explaining what's going on.

The main reason for FSW pause is COVID-19

So, the whole thing started with COVID-19.

Until March 2020, we were having "No Program Specified" draws regularly, one every 15 days or so. Life was good :)

FSW draws stopped (for the first time) in March 2020

Then, BAM! The world changed. All of a sudden, there was no toilet paper in the markets anymore. Numbers of cases skyrocketing, schools closed, planes on the ground. And, of course, FSW ("no program specified") draws stopped!

People buying toilet paper back in 2020

After the first wave, things seemed to be getting back to normal for a while. At that point, IRCC brough back FSW draws!

But only to pause it again when the second wave got bigger!

And we haven't had a single FSW draw since then.

IRCC tried to restart FSW after the first wave

Why hasn't FSW draws restarted yet?

Two reasons:

1. COVID is still a threat, so IRCC might be taking extra caution.
  2. IRCC might be stacked up with applications, plus the Afghanistan situation.

Ok, we get it. COVID messed everything up! But the whole world is adapting to it! Vaccinations campaigns are at full steam. So, why hasn't FSW draws restarted yet? Even tourists can come to Canada (as long as they are vaccinated). So why can't immigrants?

As mentioned above, IRCC might just be taking extra caution with the COVID situation, which makes sense.

Also, it (IRCC) might be stacked up with applications to process.

IRCC is stacked up with applications

When the pandemic started, IRCC staffed had to adapt to the constraints (staff shortage, working remotely, etc.), just like every single entity in the world. That, of course impacted on the processing times.

So now, after one year and a half of pandemic, there might be a ton of processes waiting to be worked on immigration agents' desks.

And on top of that, since August 2021, IRCC has been focus a lot of its efforts on the Afghanistan situation.

Should I wait for FSW?

I would say yes, you should wait.

I personally don't believe FSW will stop permanently. It is one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) Canadian immigration program, and it has a huge importance on the economy class immigration.

So, I think once things get back to the (new) normal, we should se FSW draws ("no program specified") again.

Now, when that will happen, is impossible to know!

Important: This article is based on the author (Gabriel) interpretation of the current situation.

Comments

Lizzy Oct 01, 2021 09:50:43

Hi my crs is 453, what are my chances of getting an ITA under FSW

Gabriel (Author) Oct 01, 2021 15:03:43

Hi Lizzy, there are currently more than 40 thousand people with a score bigger than that, which is not THAT much, but is not little either. It will all depend on how many ITAs are sent on the first draws. If they do a huge draw, like they did for CEC earlier this year (27k ITAs), I'd say your chances are really good. But if they just invite 3 to 5 thousands as usual, then not so much. You should definitely see if you can squeeze some more points. English, French and post-grad usually are the "easiest" ways to get points!

Vuvuzela Oct 25, 2021 06:05:29

I got the same CRS score and I consider my chances as low to say the truth, just be realistic. Trying to get a job offer from Canada now

RonDonSilver Oct 07, 2021 13:53:53

Man, thank you for this website and your humor! I have been waiting a year, and at this point, it's safe to assume I will have to re-apply with a new profile. Kind of bummed, but it helps to know there are others in a similar situation. Best of luck to all!

Gabriel (Author) Oct 07, 2021 21:35:17

Hey thanks for the cool feedback! Oh yeah, there are a ton of people on that situation, it really stinks. Wish IRCC would at least keeps us informed on what the heck is going on in there... Everybody kinda shooting in the dark lol. But hey good luck in your process! If you ever come to Calgary, reach out, the beer to celebrate is on me :D

Ayush Oct 08, 2021 05:59:43

Hey Gabriel, thank you for this enlightening post. I have this weird notion that IRCC does not have any motive to re open the FSW draws again because they are meeting their immigration targets with PNP and CEC draws itself. They are already close in meeting their immigration target for 2021 with only calling in PNP and in land applications. Why would they want to take the extra hassle on doing the additional work in inviting the outlanders when they know that there are a HUGEEE chunk of people (students, temporary workers) who are well inside Canada and can help IRCC meet the immigration quota. I have this nudge that FSW draws will never resume again because with Covid, IRCC have come to realise that they are better of inviting and giving PR's to the inland residents. What is your take on this? Thank you

Gabriel (Author) Oct 25, 2021 14:17:38

Hi Ayush, first of all, I'm sorry abot the delay on the answer - super busy days! About your insight, I have considered that myself - it really makes sense. However, at some points the CEC score has gone so low, that I believe/hope they draw a line at what point is it valid to go back to FSW. I mean, the immigration system has always been about quantity AND quality... I personally think is better to get someone on the 400's from abroad than someone on the 100's from inside. Even considering the costs/time it takes, etc. I think at the end it all comes down to that... As long as there are enough CEC and PNPs to meet the target with a reasonable score, I agree with your point. But the moment the score gets to low, I believe that's the time to use FSW. That said, in the last months, they have been able to meet the targets with not-so-low scores, right... so there's that in favour of killing FSW :(

Yan Oct 19, 2021 16:22:33

Hi, Gabriel! My score is 470, what’s my chance of getting ITA? I’m 30 yo now, I’m worried if FSW doesn’t restarted until first half of 2022, my score will automatically deduct again :(

Gabriel (Author) Oct 25, 2021 14:19:29

Hi Yan! There are around 20k people ahead of you, so it will all depend on when FSW will be back, and how much will they invite :| I'd say you have real chances, but if you can try to increase it even more, it will sure help (duh, right? :D)

Ammar Khan Oct 20, 2021 11:42:52

Hi my CRS score is 478. What are the chances of me getting an ITA.

Gabriel (Author) Oct 25, 2021 14:20:11

Hi Ammar, you have good chances, only 9k in front of you :)

Yan Oct 27, 2021 23:10:52

Thanks Gabriel. I will work on improving it!Holefully FSW draw will resume soon.

Gabriel (Author) Nov 03, 2021 04:27:02

Yeah hope so! good luck :)

Prabjot Oct 29, 2021 18:44:25

Hi Gabriel , my wife applied she has 485 crs. What are the chances ?

Gabriel (Author) Nov 03, 2021 04:27:34

Hi! That's a great score! Real chances of being invited once FSW draws are back! Congrats on such a great score

Lee Nov 04, 2021 11:07:23

Just stumbled on this website and is a great read. I am about to submit an express entry profile. Once submitted and pending an ITA (assuming I get that far), can I update if I retake my language test and achieve better scores? Thank you.

Gabriel (Author) Nov 15, 2021 05:52:14

Thanks for the nice feedback! Yeah, you can (and should) update it after EE profile is created. It is very common - everyone does it, and IRCC encourages it :)

Haziq Nov 09, 2021 22:48:45

Hi Gabriel, My CRS score is 473. I am currently in Canada on a work permit. However, my job is LMIA-exempt and is not contributing to the overall score. Do you think there's a way I can make my job count towards the score? Thanks, Haziq

Gabriel (Author) Nov 15, 2021 05:52:53

Hi, not sure... I suggest you try to find a trusted consultant to look into details of your case!

HASSAN Nov 10, 2021 12:33:30

my crs is 468 . what are the chances for ITA

Gabriel (Author) Nov 15, 2021 05:53:34

Hi, there are more than 25k people ahead of you, so it's not great, but not bad either! It will all depend on how many people they invite once FSW is back. I'd definetly try to increase it in the meanwhile

Abu MD.shaha Nawaz Rashid Nov 17, 2021 09:59:40

I am Disability Deaf.my want job help.my country in Bangladesh.

Besura Nov 18, 2021 02:06:49

my score is 481. im really depressed and discouraged cos i studied english, masters and kept a full-time job...all 3 at the same time just for canada. ielts score maxed out too so i cant improve my score beyond this being outside canada unless i learn french... which will take another 2 years and i dont have it in me anymore to work like i did and have broken dreams again

Gabriel (Author) Dec 26, 2021 04:21:13

That is a great score, don't be discouraged... The timing just sucks... hope when FSW resumes you get some extra motivation... man you are closer than most people to fulfill the dream, really! don't give up. Beer is on me when you get here!

Sheraz Dec 20, 2021 20:07:53

Hi I am in IRCC pool with 337 CRS through FSWP from 16-May-2021,for 4031 NOC which is Teaching job in canada but I am really fed up due to not getting any reply from IRCC .I have no option to get increase in my CRS I was 38 at that time and I will lose 5 point in March when I will be at 39 ,English is not my native language it’s very hard to get 8,8,6.5&6.5 in Ielts to improve

Gabriel (Author) Dec 26, 2021 04:22:30

Hey. Yeah, 337 is really not that great :( It can be frustrating... maybe check if some PNP might fit your profile. Or consider coming as a student and then aiming at PNP or CEC?