Check out our FREE 26-steps guide for FSW!
Published by Gabriel Oliveira on September 29, 2021

Express Entry With Work Experience on Different NOCs

It's normal to have work experience in more than one profession, and Express Entry accepts that.

The Federal Skilled Worker Program, however, requires at least one year of work experience in a single profession (NOC).

Keep reading for more details.

Can I have work experience on different NOCs for Express Entry?

Yes, you can.

But to be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you need at least one year in one single profession (NOC).

Federal Skilled Worker Program - With Different NOCs

For the Federal Skilled Worker Program eligibility, you need to have at least one year of work experience in only one profession - the one you are applying for.

If you have that full year (or 1560 hours) in one profession (must be NOC type 0, A or B), only then you can start adding experience in other professions (including NOCs C and D), to improve your CRS Score.

Canadian Experience Class - With Different NOCs

For Canadian Experience Class eligibility, you need at least one year of work experience in Canada, on NOCs 0, A or B. And it can be on different NOCs.

That one year of work experience in Canada (along with other factors) will make you eligible for CEC. Now, for the score, you can add other work experiences, including in your home country, or NOC types C and D.


For Federal Skilled Worker Program:
  • You need at least one year of work experience on a single NOC (type 0, A or B).
  • After that year, you can add more experiences on different NOCs (including C and D), and they will contribute for your CRS Score.
For Canadian Experience Class:
  • You need at least one year of Canadian work experience on NOC types 0, A or B. That year can be in different NOCs.
  • If you have that one year of Canadian work experience, you can add any other work experience to increase your score, including in your home country, and NOCs C and D.

Important point to keep in mind:

This topic can be confusing, but the key thing here is to separate eligibility from CRS score.

They are two different things, and independent in this case. Eligibility for FSW requires 1 year in one single NOC. But CRS score considers any work experience, independent of NOC.

If you have any questions, please go ahead and write it on the comments section below - I'll be happy to answer them :)

I hope this article helps you on your immigration journey!

If you are going through the Federal Skilled Worker program, check out our step-by-step guide and tracking system.

It is 100% free.


Mimi (Guest-308705) 2021-11-19T09:43:01Z

Hi, This is a question I struggle a lot to find a concrete answer to on the internet. I studied Mechanical Engineering but I always had an aptitude for coding so I started working in the IT Sector. I have about 1year and 10 months of experience under NOC 2171 ( from 2020 to present) I also have about 6 months of paid internship experience outside Canada under NOC 2132 (3 months in 2017 and 3 months in 2018)- I did these co-ops during the University summer break. Can I accumulate all my work experience and put it under the required work experience to be eligible for the FSW Program or am I only allowed to use my experience in NOC 2171?

Gabriel (Author) 2021-11-22T05:44:36Z

Hi, so this is what the official website says: "in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)". Meaning, you can only use work experience that matches the NOC you are applying for :\

Monse (Guest-339377) 2021-12-12T12:24:08Z

Hi! Thanks for the info. I have 1 year in one noc and 1 year in another noc. Both outside Canada. what should I answer in the question how many years of work experience outside Canada you have? 1 or 2 years? (section skilled worker entry express - find out if your profile is eligible)

Gabriel (Author) 2021-12-26T04:09:57Z

Hey :) I think you should answer the time you have on the occupation (NOC) you are using on your EE profile. 1 year on your case, right?

Jojo jose (Guest-373592) 2022-01-13T23:32:28Z

Hi.. i was wondering my wife has the experience under 2 noc codes ie; 4155(Probation officer)& 4112(lawyer). So will i be able to create a profile for her under the express entry? She has 11months (not continuously)experience as a lawyer and the rest as a probation officer. Since She doesn’t have one year full experience, can I create a profile under express entry?

Karmu (Guest-380784) 2022-01-20T11:47:50Z

Hey :) I have one year of experience as Administrative Assistant and 1 year of experience as security supervisor. Am i eligible for 2 years of work experience under cec?

Nitya 2022-09-20T20:30:16Z

Hi, I was wondering i apply for PNP, and once i got the points to apply for Express Entry. But I change job in the process, before applying for Express Entry. Will it affect in anyways for me to get my PR?

Express Entry Totals

215 Draws
549,177 ITAs
196,685 Profiles

More data...

Latest Articles

Different Ways to Immigrate to Canada - FULL LIST

Express Entry - What are my chances?

Why were there no FSW draws in 2021?

Express Entry with Different NOCs

Will the CRS Score Go Down in 2022?

Follow us on Instagram!

About | Privacy |