Published by Gabriel Oliveira
on September 29, 2021

Express Entry With Work Experience on Different NOCs

It's normal to have work experience in more than one profession, and Express Entry accepts that.

The Federal Skilled Worker Program, however, requires at least one year of work experience in a single profession (NOC).

Keep reading for more details.

Can I have work experience on different NOCs for Express Entry?

Yes, you can.

But to be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you need at least one year in one single profession (NOC).

Federal Skilled Worker Program - With Different NOCs

For the Federal Skilled Worker Program eligibility, you need to have at least one year of work experience in only one profession - the one you are applying for.

If you have that full year (or 1560 hours) in one profession (must be NOC type 0, A or B), only then you can start adding experience in other professions (including NOCs C and D), to improve your CRS Score.

Canadian Experience Class - With Different NOCs

For Canadian Experience Class eligibility, you need at least one year of work experience in Canada, on NOCs 0, A or B. And it can be on different NOCs.

That one year of work experience in Canada (along with other factors) will make you eligible for CEC. Now, for the score, you can add other work experiences, including in your home country, or NOC types C and D.

Summary:

For Federal Skilled Worker Program: For Canadian Experience Class:

Important point to keep in mind:

This topic can be confusing, but the key thing here is to separate eligibility from CRS score.

They are two different things, and independent in this case. Eligibility for FSW requires 1 year in one single NOC. But CRS score considers any work experience, independent of NOC.

If you have any questions, please go ahead and write it on the comments section below - I'll be happy to answer them :)

Comments

Mimi Nov 19, 2021 09:43:01

Hi, This is a question I struggle a lot to find a concrete answer to on the internet. I studied Mechanical Engineering but I always had an aptitude for coding so I started working in the IT Sector. I have about 1year and 10 months of experience under NOC 2171 ( from 2020 to present) I also have about 6 months of paid internship experience outside Canada under NOC 2132 (3 months in 2017 and 3 months in 2018)- I did these co-ops during the University summer break. Can I accumulate all my work experience and put it under the required work experience to be eligible for the FSW Program or am I only allowed to use my experience in NOC 2171?

Gabriel (Author) Nov 22, 2021 05:44:36

Hi, so this is what the official website says: "in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)". Meaning, you can only use work experience that matches the NOC you are applying for :\

Monse Dec 12, 2021 12:24:08

Hi! Thanks for the info. I have 1 year in one noc and 1 year in another noc. Both outside Canada. what should I answer in the question how many years of work experience outside Canada you have? 1 or 2 years? (section skilled worker entry express - find out if your profile is eligible)

Gabriel (Author) Dec 26, 2021 04:09:57

Hey :) I think you should answer the time you have on the occupation (NOC) you are using on your EE profile. 1 year on your case, right?

Jojo jose Jan 13, 2022 23:32:28

Hi.. i was wondering my wife has the experience under 2 noc codes ie; 4155(Probation officer)& 4112(lawyer). So will i be able to create a profile for her under the express entry? She has 11months (not continuously)experience as a lawyer and the rest as a probation officer. Since She doesn’t have one year full experience, can I create a profile under express entry?

Karmu Jan 20, 2022 11:47:50

Hey :) I have one year of experience as Administrative Assistant and 1 year of experience as security supervisor. Am i eligible for 2 years of work experience under cec?

Nitya Sep 20, 2022 20:30:16

Hi, I was wondering i apply for PNP, and once i got the points to apply for Express Entry. But I change job in the process, before applying for Express Entry. Will it affect in anyways for me to get my PR?

Marta Oct 10, 2022 16:42:31

Hi Gabriel, you say in your post that work experience in occupations C and D will improve EE CRS score, however CIC website states clearly that "You cannot count work experience in these National Occupational Classification (NOC) categories: Skill Level C, or Skill Level D." https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=386&top=29 The link is for Canadian Experience Class, I didn't find the same information for FSWP. Could you clarify that? Thank you!

DAVID Oct 13, 2022 22:55:00

hello, am David I am applying for express entry, I had 2 years experience under one NOC,3131 pharmacy, then i went ahead to become self employed by opening a pharmacy store, where I worked for myself. Can I combine these 2 NOCs and can the two work experiences qualify for the same NOC- Pharmacist 3131. email- enenduekene2015@gmail.com

Harwinder Singh Oct 20, 2022 18:09:04

Im doing noc b code job and at the same time general labour also meams 2 jobs at same time is it ohkay ?

Harsheel Lakhani Nov 01, 2022 23:26:31

Hello . I am doing a noc b (2272) job right now . My work permit expires next year . If i change the noc b to lets say (2273) . Will it count towards total experience ?

Raaj Nov 11, 2022 07:35:55

I am an electrical engineer, working as an electrician in canada . My past experiences were all as an electrical quality control engineer and electrical project manager. Now I want to apply in federal skilled trade program. Will they count my past experiences as a NOC related job experience.

Shummy Nov 17, 2022 10:09:38

Hi, I have more than 10 years of experience in 2 different NOC, A and C back home in my country. After studying in Canada, I have been working for 5 months now in Canada on a NOC B job. Can I change my primary occupation to this NOC B in my express entry profile?

Gabriel (Author) Dec 08, 2022 05:55:28

Hi, it will depend on which program you are aiming for. For example, different provincial programs have different requirements. If you are aiming for FSW, then yeah the change shouldn't be a problem.

Rajat Gupta Nov 26, 2022 13:59:18

Hi Gabriel I am an accounts payable analyst and few of my work duties match with NOC 1212 and few with 1431 but the problem is for 1212 I am not supervisor (f.e It is written in duties that you need to review the administrative work of accounts payable clerk however I don't review anyone's accounts administrative work but I do the same myself. I have other option as well to choose noc for contract negotiation specialist for procurement but that is relate to the company which I have left 4 years ago. Please guide me

Gabriel (Author) Dec 08, 2022 05:54:10

Hi. As long as you have 1 year of experience and the NOC is eligible, I'd chose whichever experience you can prove easier, and go only with that one. The fact that your experience was 4 years ago shouldn't be a problem, as the limit is 10 years.

Tatiana R Dec 11, 2022 01:57:53

Hi Grabiel! great post, I have a quick question, if I have siix month of experience outside canada under 21231, software engineer and 6 months inside canada under 21232 software developer, can I aply through Federal skilled worker? there are almost the same thing, actually in my country I am a developer, not an engineer yet, but here there is no restriction to call you engineer in your contract. Hope to here from you soon

Tatiana R Dec 11, 2022 01:57:55

Gabriel (Author) Dec 13, 2022 05:25:56

Hi Tatiana. If you are not officially an engineer, the immigration agent might not like that you are presenting yourself as one. I personally would go with "software developer" just to be on the safe side. And the jobs are so similar that you could probably use your Canadian experience as developer. But the other way around you might raise the question "this girl says she has an engineer experience, but she's not an engineer" - not good.

Lovepreet singh Dec 16, 2022 08:59:25

Hi, i am really worried about this, i hope you can help me in this, i am working as a cook NOC B in a restaurant but my points is not enough for express entry, so my lawyer suggested me that you should also look for LMIA, so can i work at two jobs but different employer or i have to work for same employer coz my restaurant is not providing me LMIA, so that’s why i have look for another job on lmia, to gain 1 year of experience on LMIA , so i can go for express entry with job letter from restaurant and LMIA from different restaurant?

Harry Carter Dec 18, 2022 20:03:14

Hi there, I am working currently as a Retail Store supervisor and I have gained 5 months full time experience already with this job. I am getting an opportunity to become a Manager in food industry where I am targeting to finish rest ot 7 months full time experience to complete 1 year skilled experience in Canada. Can I able to get an invite under CEC category as my Ielts is done with CLB-8 already. Please note that after working 5 months full time as Retail Store Supervisor, I took 3 months break before I start as Manager in food industry and currently working as Manager and my 3 months are just completed. Therefore, a 8 months are completed. Waiting to work 4 more months. Can anyone experienced person throw their light on this? Appreciated. Thank you.

Simarpreet Kaur Jan 18, 2023 23:21:25

Hi, I had a question, I worked as bookkeeper for 6 months in one company and another 6 months in another company as a bookkeeper. Will this count as 1 year under CEC